Alexander Skwar wrote:
Phil Sexton schrieb:

I just used the command:

# domainname uilleann

That's not a domainname, as there are no dots (.). Granted, a domain doesn't
have to have dots, but it's very unusual to have a TLD.

I am thouroughly confused now. I previously had uilleann.fancypiper.info and that wasnt' a domainname because it had dots. Now I have been told the opposite. Both were written by you, so you have me in a fog of confusion. Should I believe you since you have told me that nothing is correct for a domainname?

<From an earlier post>

> Here is my /etc/conf.d/hostname:
> # Set to the hostname of this machine
> HOSTNAME="uilleann.fancypiper.info"

That's not a hostname. A hostname has no dots (.).

Alexander Skwar

<end earlier e-mail>

Also, I understood you so, that your hostname is uilleann.

and now the command:

# domainname

returns

uilleann

Yep.

My /etc/resolv.conf remained unchanged.

Of course. Why should resolv.conf be changed?

I have no idea, but there is the /etc/conf.d/net.example which talks about setting up dns_domain but if this is used, it overwrites /etc/resolv.conf. Someone was wondering how to set the domain name without changing resolv.conf, so I pointed that out.

Perhaps this is current usage?

No.

Strange. Why is the script there? Why does it set the domain name. It doesn't break my system, but I don't have my other boxen built and the OSs installed yet. I can't test networking until I get those made.

Alexander Skwar

--
Phil Sexton
My Home Page: http://fancypiper.info/