On Monday 22 January 2007 11:29, Jan Stępień <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Xgl and direct rendering or 'Would you like Xorg
or Xgl, sir?'':
> In fact the  radeon module conflicts with fglrx. I've unloaded fglrx,
> modprobed radeon (verified by lsmod) and relaunched gdm. But it's still
> refusing to use the new module:
>
> (EE) Failed to load module "radeon" (module does not exist, 0)
>
> Actually it does exist, it is loaded and besides listed in xorg.conf to
> be bound to my Radeon 9600XT. I'm can't get it. Any suggestions?

Okay, this might not, be helpful but I just want to do a sanity check here:

1. Check your xorg.log and make sure you are using the xorg.conf you think
you are.

2. Make sure the required kernel module is in place.  It can be loaded by
modprobe and that action confirmed by lsmod.  It will be somewhere
under /lib/modules (sounds like you've already done this).

3. Make sure you aren't confusing a kernel module/driver with a X11 driver.
Generally the later depends on the former, but they are provided by
different packages and located differently on the filesystem -- and
generally kernel modules are not listed by name in xorg.conf.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.             ,= ,-_-. =.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              ((_/)o o(\_))