Hi Dan,
on Sunday, 2007-10-28 at 18:30:17, you wrote:
> Of course you can build a low-power system and probably get by without
> any fans at all if you're clever, and if you outsource the hard drive
> to another computer you get a fairly low power design that's silent.
>
> But not nearly as low power as an integrated device.
>
> Or as small.

The one that probably comes closest is a VIA Cx system. I got a Cobalt
Cube a while ago to replace my current guzzler of a server (old HPPA
workstation) and to experiment with other unusual CPUs a bit, and while
it's pretty, small, low-power and rather quiet, it's also quite slow. So
I've just ordered a passively cooled 800 MHz VIA C7 nanoITX board to
replace the MIPS hardware in there and get something that can handle HD
encryption and Samba at a decent speed on top of the routing. The plan
is to build the syatem on HD and move it to a CF card later so I can
spin down the big HD when it's not in use. If it works out it will be a
damn neat system, but anyway it's still four times the size of a WRT54
and consumes twice the power. That's the most powerful chip I've found
in the 20-30 watts-per-system range though, all the recycled stuff I've
run so far doesn't even come close.

cheers,
        Matthias
--
I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0  8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665