Dan Farrell wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:15:46 +0100
"b.n." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Dan Farrell ha scritto:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 01:13:25 +0100
"b.n." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Think of an AP as a way to connect wireless interfaces to the same
switch/hub as you can the wired connections.  They usually bridge
the connections.

You're probably right; you only need an AP, because you likely
already have a gateway/router.  They sell for about $20 us around
here, if you get them on the web.
Exactly what I thought. Thanks.
As for the brand, is Netgear stuff so bad? Here these gadgets seem to
be more costly, and Netgears cost much less than Linksys stuff.

m.

In the area of wired switches, I have found that technology has matured
and you get pretty much the same performance (100% bandwith) from any
switch (I paid $12 for some of my switches).   I wouldn't necessarily
recommend it for enterprise-level switching (on the other hand, I also
plan to use it for some later this year).
However, I don't know whether this applies to wireless.  I bought a
dirt-cheap Belkin AP a few years ago and found it adequate, but the
configuration paradigm was bundled (windoze-only) software.

The one gotcha with the different brands is that some of them use cheaper parts that can't handle as many connections/open ports and can thus get overloaded. You most often see this sort of behaviour with Bittorrent, but I've also done it to a switch when I had a bookmark folder of 15ish links (webcomics) and clicked "Open In Tabs" in Firefox.

It tends to be hit or miss. Previously, Netgear has had a good reputation, but my only experience with their wireless routers has been poor, with the one my girlfriend got (sadly at my suggestion) flaking out pretty severely whenever a P2P application looked at it funny or an app like Adium/Pidgin opened too many ports when connecting. The solution was always to unplug/replug to force it to reboot.

One decent resource to steer you in the right direction may be http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_routers. Note however that when it lists the Linksys stuff, that's for the stock firmware, a number of them can run custom stuff like dd-wrt.

(Just saw Grant's email as well. So I don't sound like a total Linksys fanboi, I will second the suggestion of Buffalo as well. Everything I've heard about their stuff is good news so far.)

Hope this helps,
Aaron