On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:15:46 +0100
"b.n." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dan Farrell ha scritto:
> > On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 01:13:25 +0100
> > "b.n." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Think of an AP as a way to connect wireless interfaces to the same
> > switch/hub as you can the wired connections.  They usually bridge
> > the connections.
> >
> > You're probably right; you only need an AP, because you likely
> > already have a gateway/router.  They sell for about $20 us around
> > here, if you get them on the web.
>
> Exactly what I thought. Thanks.
> As for the brand, is Netgear stuff so bad? Here these gadgets seem to
> be more costly, and Netgears cost much less than Linksys stuff.
>
> m.

In the area of wired switches, I have found that technology has matured
and you get pretty much the same performance (100% bandwith) from any
switch (I paid $12 for some of my switches).   I wouldn't necessarily
recommend it for enterprise-level switching (on the other hand, I also
plan to use it for some later this year).

However, I don't know whether this applies to wireless.  I bought a
dirt-cheap Belkin AP a few years ago and found it adequate, but the
configuration paradigm was bundled (windoze-only) software.