On Monday 29 October 2007 10:40:08 am Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2007-10-29, b.n. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dan Farrell ha scritto:
> >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 01:13:25 +0100
> >> "b.n." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Think of an AP as a way to connect wireless interfaces to the same
> >> switch/hub as you can the wired connections.  They usually bridge the
> >> connections.
> >>
> >> You're probably right; you only need an AP, because you likely already
> >> have a gateway/router.  They sell for about $20 us around here, if you
> >> get them on the web.
> >
> > Exactly what I thought. Thanks.
> > As for the brand, is Netgear stuff so bad? Here these gadgets seem to be
> > more costly, and Netgears cost much less than Linksys stuff.
>
> I've had good luck with Buffalo AP/routers and xwrt firmware.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Now we can become
>                                   at               alcoholics!
>                                visi.com

Do you really need router functionality? If not, I've had tremendous success
with SENAO brand WAPs... namely

http://www.wlansolution.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=NCB%2D3220

Excellent, if all you really need is 802.11b or g and basic WAP features.
Setup is via web browserand it delivers 400mw of power. Goes through most
anything and makes just about all other name brand stuff look dismally
weak...

Usually I set these up behind a linux firewall on their own subnet and
ipchain/iptable access to users as needed. Works really, really well.

Oh... almost forgot, it's a linux appliance and supports remote syslog
feature.

Cheers.

--

From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride