On Saturday 12 January 2008, Qian Qiao wrote:
> I can understand why you guys think we are so compelled to have a
> Gentoo LiveCD, because every other OS does, and to be honest, that is
> exactly the reason that stops you guys thinking out of the box, in
> what way is being able to install Gentoo from any LiveCD/distro a bad
> thing? In everyway it should be considered one of Gentoo's strengths?

Joe,

You have hit the nail on the head. The users around here pushing the
idea to have an install CD just do not get it, and are probably
*not*able* to think out the box. They can comprehend is "Gentoo =
Gentoo install CD", precisely because virtually every other OS does it
this way. And they have been indoctrinated to think this is the only
way it can work, or they have drunk the PR department Kool-Aid or
suffer from Red Hat Inc.'s major disease - Not Invented Here syndrome.

I've had hundreds of people pass through my Linux sysadmin courses, and
guess which concept they have most trouble grasping? It's not how
initrd works, Xen, or LVM (the usual assumed suspects), it's how do you
manage to use an Ubuntu LiveCD to fix a broken Red Hat system? Or how
did I install Red Hat using Ubuntu as a bootstrap system (possible, but
waaaaaay more trouble than it's worth)

Such people should probably be running Ubuntu or a binary distro as they
don't fit the profile of gentoo's target audience. Before anyone flames
me to oblivion for insulting them, it's not an insult. I just recognize
that you want to buy a high performance passenger car, and gentoo sells
an experimental plane in kit form.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com