Alan McKinnon schrieb:
> On Saturday 12 January 2008, Qian Qiao wrote:
>
>> I can understand why you guys think we are so compelled to have a
>> Gentoo LiveCD, because every other OS does, and to be honest, that is
>> exactly the reason that stops you guys thinking out of the box, in
>> what way is being able to install Gentoo from any LiveCD/distro a bad
>> thing? In everyway it should be considered one of Gentoo's strengths?
>>

> Joe,
>
> You have hit the nail on the head. The users around here pushing the
> idea to have an install CD just do not get it, and are probably
> *not*able* to think out the box. They can comprehend is "Gentoo =
> Gentoo install CD", precisely because virtually every other OS does it
> this way. And they have been indoctrinated to think this is the only
> way it can work, or they have drunk the PR department Kool-Aid or
> suffer from Red Hat Inc.'s major disease - Not Invented Here syndrome.
>
> I've had hundreds of people pass through my Linux sysadmin courses, and
> guess which concept they have most trouble grasping? It's not how
> initrd works, Xen, or LVM (the usual assumed suspects), it's how do you
> manage to use an Ubuntu LiveCD to fix a broken Red Hat system? Or how
> did I install Red Hat using Ubuntu as a bootstrap system (possible, but
> waaaaaay more trouble than it's worth)
>
> Such people should probably be running Ubuntu or a binary distro as they
> don't fit the profile of gentoo's target audience. Before anyone flames
> me to oblivion for insulting them, it's not an insult. I just recognize
> that you want to buy a high performance passenger car, and gentoo sells
> an experimental plane in kit form.

I have installed Gentoo in many ways, the old UniversalCD, the LiveCD,
others Distros LiveCD's, from a working Gentooinstallation to a
usb-connected drive which was transferred to boot in a old laptop and so on.
But i still think a Gentoo-Install-CD/DVD is a good thing.
So your statement "The users around here pushing the idea to have an
install CD just do not get it, and are probably *not*able* to think out
the box." is clearly not bulletproof.

Norman