· Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:35:55 +0100, b.n. wrote:
>
>> > But i still think a Gentoo-Install-CD/DVD is a good thing.
>>
>> Any practical reason for that?
>
> It is a lot more comfortable for the first-time installer.

Why's that?

> One of the
> problems with mixing components for various sources is knowing where to
> turn for help when things go wrong. A single source means a single point
> of contact, and no chance of each supplier blaming the other's component.

In theory, that's true. But can you point to bugs, mailing list
submissions or maybe forum posts, which indicate that there are
problems because something's done in a chroot originating from a
non-Gentoo system which would not exist, if the chroot were started
from a Gentoo system (the Gentoo Install CD)?

> While a Gentoo install CD is not essential for installing Gentoo, it is a
> good thing to have.

Depends. I'd rather say, that it is rather superfluous.

> It also allows you to install without a network
> connection if you have a single CD containing the handbook, tools,
> portage snapshot and stage files.

How do you get that stuff (the Install CD)? By downloading? Why
can't you download the handbook, snapshot and stage tar ball as
well at that time? And what "tools" are you talking about? fdisk?
chroot?

> So while an official install disc is not necessary for installation for
> many people, it is a part of what Gentoo should offer.

I disagree. Maybe it's a bonus if it's offered, but then it "always"
has to be up-to-date. And that, obviously, cannot be done right now.
So I'd rather say, that it would be better, if there were no install
CD at all.

Michael Schmarck
--
He is considered a most graceful speaker who can say nothing in the most words.