Grant wrote:
|> I think it could be the pick-and-mix approach to keywording, I use pure
|> ~amd64 on my desktop and laptop and the only problems I've had recently
|> turned out to be a corrupt root filesystem.
|
| yeah, mixing isn't good. Pure systems are way more stable.

Now that's an interesting idea.  Makes sense.  It sounds like I should
either learn to live with stable packages only, or go all out testing.

This depends on how many ~packages you actually need. It's *not* recommended that you switch to a fully ~arch system just to get one or two unstable packages, that's why the package.keywords file exists in the first place.

But in my case I found myself adding close to 75% of my packages to package.keywords, at which point the number stable packages lagging behind everything were so few that it wasn't worth the trouble.

IOW: there's no "right" answer, but if your current setup isn't working for you then trying something different probably couldn't hurt.

--Mike