My Gentoo systems get this way for one of two reasons:

Some config files get overwritten (make.conf was one time ) by accident
and a few packages get installed with the wrong build settings causing
random grief

system inconsistency, mainly with libraries.  revdep-rebuild may or may
not help - if not, check all the meta files (`equery check portage`, and
then manually check make.conf etc) and do an 'emerge -e world' and go
make several (dozen) cups of coffee :)

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>