080628 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:57:05 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
>> the problem with 'emerge world' (without '-p') is
>> the user hands over control of his machine to an unreliable automaton,
> No one has ever suggested that you run emerge world without -p or -a.
> Damage caused by using a tool badly does not make it a bad tool.
> Esp if the tool's documentation specifically advises different usage
-- dox quote snipped --

Yes, I had never bothered to read that, as I didn't need to (smile).

So the problem is not folx doing 'emerge -aBcDdF world',
but folx doing that where they haven't included a '-p' in there.
So whenever anyone asks advice from this list in such a case,
the first response always sb "Did you do a 'pretend' first ? ".

Anyway, I continue to recommend my own approach to everyone,
while knowing full well they (like me) will go on in their own way (grin).

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : [EMAIL PROTECTED]