On Saturday 12 July 2008, Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 20:33 -0600, Joseph wrote:
> > How did you transfer bootable CD into a stick?
>
> The short answer is "who says it has to be a bootable CD image?".
> There are plenty of USB-based linux images out there... just use one
> of those.

I've done it this way too. All you really need is a system running that
can chroot and unpack the stage 3 and portage tarballs. Like Albert I
happened to use RIPLinux - very small, supports just about everything.

You don't need a Gentoo system to install Gentoo, all you need is
something that can deal with the filesystem you want to use, tar and
zip/bzip. Theoretically, even Windows could do it.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com