On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 04:19 -0700, jalves wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 07:48:38PM -0600, Joseph wrote:
> > How hard is to install Gentoo from a USB stick? Is it officially supported
> > this type of installation?
> > I can find instruction here and there; and some notes that is not an easy
> > task.
> >
> > The reason I'm asking is that I'm putting a new PC together and want to get
> > rid of CD all together.
>
> Not hard!  I forget exactly what I did, but it was pretty easy
> to do.
>
> (I don't remember all the steps, but I can tell you after I get
>  home if you still need to know).
>
> -Jeremy

You can "install" gentoo from anything that can boot the livecd (I
think).  I've written some instructions on how to get the livecd onto a
usb key - it's surprisingly simple.  I used it to install this laptop :)

see
http://nthrbldyblg.blogspot.com/2008/06/gentoo-linux-live-usb-key.html

I would appreciate any suggestions and improvements to the steps, if you
end up trying it.

HTH,

The truth will set you free. Unless Chuck Norris has you, in which case,
forget it buddy!