On Saturday 12 July 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > You don't need a Gentoo system to install Gentoo, all you need is
> > something that can deal with the filesystem you want to use, tar
> > and zip/bzip. Theoretically, even Windows could do it.
>
> Don't you need chroot too? I suppose you could install cygwin on
> Windows, but anyone who goes that route has far too much time to
> kill.

Side point: it never ceases to amaze me the extent to which people think
installation is some magical procedure with voodoo in it, or that a
program (which is not installed yet!) somehow manages to install
itself.

When I give classes I usually let people do at least one install by
themselves, then take them through the real underlying steps one by
one: the installer is a regular program, it reads some data and writes
it to disk. Assuming it isn't buggy, what it writes just happens to be
the right thing that will boot an OS at next restart.

When they get that and enlightenment dawns on their faces, then I show
them wubi... :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com