Mick wrote:

Now I am getting confused - at least one box of mine does not have /etc/env.d/02locale at all. Am I supposed to create it manually?

The file isn't automatically created by anything, since strictly speaking you can get away without using it. However, if you are going to add the locale information to your environment, that file name in the env.d directory is considered the correct way to do it.

Without it, your locale is probably falling back to C or POSIX, the defaults, which for the most part behave just like en_US anyway. It certainly wouldn't hurt for you to explicitly set your locale and language options.