On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM, smallnow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Mike Edenfield wrote:
>>> You should have a directory in /usr/share/locale for every locale you
>>> want available on your system.  The source files for the locales should
>>> be in /usr/share/i18n/locales and /usr/share/i18n/charsets.  That is,
>>> you should have all of the following:
>>>
>>> /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_US
>>> /usr/share/i18n/charsets/ISO8859-1
>>> /usr/share/i18n/charsets/UTF-8
>>> /usr/share/locale/en_US.ISO8859-1
>>> /usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8
>>
>> Um, on my system, i have
>> /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz
>> /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/IS8859-1.gz
>> notice charmaps vs charsets
>> the other folders all have en_US files and folders, no utf8 extensions. And
>> my
>> locale stuff seems to work fine. Do you actually have those files on your
>> computer or did you just type them from memory and get them wrong?
>> I do locale -a and get:
>> POSIX
>> en_US
>> en_US.iso88591
>> en_US.utf8
>> also, I do locale-gen and it succeeds and I don't get any of the files you
>> mentioned.
>>
>> Heres my suggestion to the original poster. I would heed the warning in the
>> gentoo guide not to set LC_ALL. I also have a lot of other files under those
>> directories and I would just leave them alone, but if you want to delete
>> them,
>> just move them so you can move them back later if it doesn't help. I think
>> one
>> of your problems might be that you need to set all your locale variables in
>> 02locale. Then do "eselect env update" and relogin. Also you should have 644
>> permissions on these files.
>>
>>  cat /etc/env.d/02locale
>> LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
>> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
>> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
>>

>>  cat /etc/locale.gen
>>
>> en_US ISO-8859-1
>> en_US.utf8 UTF-8
>>

> You may be correct about setting all of this in 02locale. I noticed
> that the Gentoo formatting stuff for vi is treating LC_ALL and
> LC_COLLATE differently than LINGUAS. The manual seems to say set
> system wide stuff in 02locale and user stuff in your own account.
>
> [[ Two minutes later... ]]
>
> OK, I changed 02locale and just put your values in. I rane eselect env
> update, logged out and back in. For the first time locale -a looks
> good:

> [...]

Hi all,
   OK, it appears that this has solved the problem as best I can tell
right now. The two most consist manifestations of the problem - error
messages when running layman and warning messages when starting k3b -
are all gone.

   The solution in my case for anyone who might find this thread later was:

1) Move all the locale stuff out of /etc/make.conf. I now only have
the LINGUAS statement in there.

2) Move all the locale stuff into /etc/env.d/02locale. I'm not
qualified to say what the right set of statements in 02locale might
be. I copied the ones kindly provided by smallnow. I did not set
LC_ALL.

3) Possibly most important run eselect env update. I've been running
the older env-update script. I guess I did miss the memo! ;-)

   At this point the machine seems the happiest it's been in months.
I'll of course have to watch it go through some updates over the next
few weeks but the obvious issues seem solved.

Good night, over and out,
Mark