On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 5:14 PM, smallnow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mike Edenfield wrote:
>> You should have a directory in /usr/share/locale for every locale you
>> want available on your system.  The source files for the locales should
>> be in /usr/share/i18n/locales and /usr/share/i18n/charsets.  That is,
>> you should have all of the following:
>>
>> /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_US
>> /usr/share/i18n/charsets/ISO8859-1
>> /usr/share/i18n/charsets/UTF-8
>> /usr/share/locale/en_US.ISO8859-1
>> /usr/share/locale/en_US.UTF-8
>
> Um, on my system, i have
> /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/UTF-8.gz
> /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/IS8859-1.gz
> notice charmaps vs charsets
> the other folders all have en_US files and folders, no utf8 extensions. And my
> locale stuff seems to work fine. Do you actually have those files on your
> computer or did you just type them from memory and get them wrong?
> I do locale -a and get:
> POSIX
> en_US
> en_US.iso88591
> en_US.utf8
> also, I do locale-gen and it succeeds and I don't get any of the files you
> mentioned.
>
> Heres my suggestion to the original poster. I would heed the warning in the
> gentoo guide not to set LC_ALL. I also have a lot of other files under those
> directories and I would just leave them alone, but if you want to delete them,
> just move them so you can move them back later if it doesn't help. I think one
> of your problems might be that you need to set all your locale variables in
> 02locale. Then do "eselect env update" and relogin. Also you should have 644
> permissions on these files.
>
>  cat /etc/env.d/02locale
> LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
>

>  cat /etc/locale.gen
>
> en_US ISO-8859-1
> en_US.utf8 UTF-8

You may be correct about setting all of this in 02locale. I noticed
that the Gentoo formatting stuff for vi is treating LC_ALL and
LC_COLLATE differently than LINGUAS. The manual seems to say set
system wide stuff in 02locale and user stuff in your own account.

[[ Two minutes later... ]]

OK, I changed 02locale and just put your values in. I rane eselect env
update, logged out and back in. For the first time locale -a looks
good:

lightning ~ # locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=POSIX
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=
lightning ~ # locale -a
POSIX
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8
lightning ~ #

   At this point I may be clean but I'm going to emerge glibc just to be sure.

   Back later...

Cheers,
Mark