Am Donnerstag, 20. August 2009 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:

> > > X errors might actually be in /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old by then.
> >
> > Sorry for not answering earlier, but I rebuilt another kde4 version,
> > starting from a clean system backup. I'm finished now and had my first
> > test login. Of course, the problem is still there, but neither dmesg nor
> > any Xorg*.log contains glibc.
> >
> > ~/.xsession-errors however was a little more informative, but only a
> > little. I've attached the relevant parts, but they don't tell much.
>
> startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.
> KCrash: Application 'ksmserver' crashing...
>
> check your permissions - and make a rebuild of glibc&co

Which permissions do you mean in particular? It's a fresh install with a newly
created test user acount.

I've disabled desktop effects, in case there was some clash with the 3D layer,
but apparently it's (also) something else. Though now Konsole seems to
cooperate, right-clicking on the context menu of the KPowersave tray icon
leads to a crashing X with 100% certainty. I'm rebuild glibc now, see what
happens.
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
The first time you’ll get a Microsoft product that doesn’t suck