Alan McKinnon wrote on 24/10/09 22:18:
>>> Why should they do it again when you could just as easily find
>>> the previous answer yourself.

>> I'll answer my own question, including detail which may be useful
>> to other users

> It's only useless so you since you have not done the usual research
> yourself yet; and it will continue to be useless until you do so.

How presumptuous of you to say so.  Has the gentoo-user group become the
resource of last-resort?  Has gentoo-user become restricted, to be used
only when all other avenues of exploration have been exhausted?  If that
is so, then shame on me, I must have missed that announcement too.

> I'm sorry you found my answer less than informative and perhaps even
> somewhat insulting, obviously I worded it incorrectly. But you see,
> your "aw gawd, an 'RTFM' answer..." is the identical reaction to my
> original "aw gawd, a 'do my homework for me' question".

> Ponder that a little.

Your RTFM reply arrived 14 minutes after my question. It clearly showed
that you were aware of the answer to my question. A reference to any of
the relevant threads would have been very helpful, and would have been
much appreciated.

However, an answer which merely states that the question has already
been answered, but lacking any further reference to the existing answer
is utterly worthless.

Please consider the futility of uninformative answers to questions.

Do you seriously believe that a question can only ever be posed (and
answered) once?

You are entirely free to chose whether you answer a question or not.
However, if you don't want to answer in a helpful manner, it would be
better to leave the question unanswered.

Should you wish to discuss this further, feel free to contact me off-list.