After a recent update, I restarted Apache...

I host a number of trivial development servers (using named virtual hosts) and also support access to one of them over SSL. While I can access all my data over http, access by https has stopped working.

I wondered if an update had made apache fussy that my old self-signed certificate didn't "match" the domains it was serving - so re-created new certificates to no avail. No illuminating information is written to the log files in /var/log/apache2 - but if I attempt to access the https services (which worked with my configuration prior to re-starting apache) I get various errors:

Firefox under Windows and Ubuntu :

Secure Connection Failed
An error occurred during a connection to <<server>>.
Peer's certificate has an invalid signature.
(Error code: sec_error_bad_signature)

IE 7:

Navigation to the webpage was canceled

I didn't intend to change my configuration... the only /etc/conf.d/apache2 (as far as I recall) was altered - and the APACHE2_OPTS setting is now

APACHE2_OPTS="-D DEFAULT_VHOST -D PHP5 -D DAV -D INFO -D SSL -D SSL_DEFAULT_VHOST -D LANGUAGE"

Any ideas?