>  2  pieces of advice to avoid such problems:
> (1) never use the 'testing' versions of system pkgs;
> (2) never run 'emerge world' without the '-p' flag.

I kindly disagree.  ~[arch] is testing for Gentoo ebuild.  It's
considered stable upstream.

This was an upstream bug, not a Gentoo bug.

And, as others mentioned, someone's got to be testing stuff and filing
reports upstream.  It doesn't mean you want to do it, but I really
think considering ~ as a test of upstream is rather silly.

If this is your idea, run hardened or like slackware.

~daid