> I could take a whole day typing in exactly what I do,
> but I assumed the otherwise intelligent subscribers to the list
> would realise that I add '-1' to those pkgs which are not in 'world'.
> My 'world' file contains  112  entries, incl  28  'sys' +  35  'kde'.
>
> Really, does something like that need spelling out (tries to smile) ?

It probably doesn't, but since this thread has gotten slightly hot,
I'll only insult myself here.

I forget to add 1 a lot more than I should, and as a result my world
file is probably full of pollution.  This isn't to say I don't clean
it out from time to time, but in theory people are just posting
reminders to be sure you weren't forgetting yourself -- I know I'm
guilty of it sometimes.

On that note, I'd like to ask a question I was going to post or email
about.  Can I comment the world file.  More interestingly, is there a
way to pass portage a comment to stick in world above the package?
This would be really damn useful.

For example, sometimes I'm testing things, and I really do mean to
install a package without oneshot.  But I might be installing a bunch
of things to try to get some third-party dependencies resolved, and
later I don't need all them (or I'd like to know why I put it
there!!).

Thoughts?

Regards,
daid