On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-03-03, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> When upgrading a machine today, I saw a notice that mythtv 0.21 has
>>> now been hardmasked. ??I think it's because it depends on an obsolte
>>> version of Qt. ??Don't get me started on the royal PITA of requiring
>>> that Qt be installed for a backend-only setup on a server.
>>>
>>> Since 0.21 and 0.23 is hardmasked, and mythv 0.22 is unstable on
>>> everything except the amd64 platform, what's an X86 user to do?
>
>> I think this is being handled badly but that sort of the way it is for
>> a few days anyway. Shortly 0.22 will be unmasked as stable if it isn't
>> already, but there are LOTS and LOTS of things we need to be careful
>> about when changing or the Myth database will get messed up and
>> possibly be unusable.
>
> I read the instructions for fixing the broken database encoding, but
> it appears mine is fine -- so updating to 0.22 won't be quite as
> painful as it might have been.  I'll still have to re-build the
> frontend, since 0.22 doesn't use a compatible protocol.

You are already using latin1 throughout your database? You are lucky
if that's true. It isn't for me but I've been running myth for about 4
years now.

I would suggest that if you use __any__ remote frontends and there is
any chance of someone else powering one up and using Myth then you
should first emerge -C mythtv on ALL frontend-only machines, upgrade
your server, emerge mythtv-0.22 on one frontend, make sure it works,
and then move on with any other machine.

Good luck and report back how it goes!

- Mark

<SNIP>