On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-03-03, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Grant Edwards
>>>
>>> I read the instructions for fixing the broken database encoding, but
>>> it appears mine is fine -- so updating to 0.22 won't be quite as
>>> painful as it might have been. ??I'll still have to re-build the
>>> frontend, since 0.22 doesn't use a compatible protocol.
>>
>> You are already using latin1 throughout your database?
>
> Apparently:
>
> $ mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'status;'
> Enter password:
> --------------
> mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.84, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 6.0
>
> Connection id:          106
> Current database:       mythconverg
> Current user:           myt...@localhost
> SSL:                    Not in use
> Current pager:          stdout
> Using outfile:          ''
> Using delimiter:        ;
> Server version:         5.0.84-log Gentoo Linux mysql-5.0.84-r1
> Protocol version:       10
> Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
> Server characterset:    latin1
> Db     characterset:    latin1
> Client characterset:    latin1
> Conn.  characterset:    latin1
> UNIX socket:            /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
> Uptime:                 1 day 20 hours 44 min 55 sec
>
> Threads: 5  Questions: 261810  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 1400  Flush tables: 1
> Open tables: 59  Queries per second avg: 1.625
> --------------

Good stuff. Not true for me.

>> You are lucky if that's true. It isn't for me but I've been running
>> myth for about 4 years now.
>
> I've been running Myth for a while (6 years?), but this database was
> created about 7 months ago when I switched from a dedicated FE/BE
> machine running KnoppMyth to a split FE/BE setup where the BE runs on
> a non-dedicated Gentoo machine.  Not sure how it ended up this way
> other than the fact that I don't have UTF support enabled on that box
> (at some point in the past, having UTF support enabled broke something
> else, but I don't remember what).
>
>> I would suggest that if you use __any__ remote frontends and there is
>> any chance of someone else powering one up and using Myth then you
>> should first emerge -C mythtv on ALL frontend-only machines,
>
> The FE doesn't run Gentoo, it runs MiniMyth -- I _think_ all I need to
> do is replace the 0.21 rootfs on the USB flash drive with the one
> containing 0.22...

You've probably read this elsewhere but apparently an older 0.21
frontend can corrupt the MythTV database. Maybe it won't happen for
you if you're already using all latin1 everywhere. I'm not so I have
to be careful.

Cheers,
Mark