On 2010-03-03, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Grant Edwards
>>
>> I read the instructions for fixing the broken database encoding, but
>> it appears mine is fine -- so updating to 0.22 won't be quite as
>> painful as it might have been. ??I'll still have to re-build the
>> frontend, since 0.22 doesn't use a compatible protocol.
>
> You are already using latin1 throughout your database?

Apparently:

$ mysql -umythtv -p mythconverg -e 'status;'
Enter password:
--------------
mysql  Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.84, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 6.0

Connection id:          106
Current database:       mythconverg
Current user:           myt...@localhost
SSL:                    Not in use
Current pager:          stdout
Using outfile:          ''
Using delimiter:        ;
Server version:         5.0.84-log Gentoo Linux mysql-5.0.84-r1
Protocol version:       10
Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
Server characterset:    latin1
Db     characterset:    latin1
Client characterset:    latin1
Conn.  characterset:    latin1
UNIX socket:            /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
Uptime:                 1 day 20 hours 44 min 55 sec

Threads: 5  Questions: 261810  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 1400  Flush tables: 1
Open tables: 59  Queries per second avg: 1.625
--------------

> You are lucky if that's true. It isn't for me but I've been running
> myth for about 4 years now.

I've been running Myth for a while (6 years?), but this database was
created about 7 months ago when I switched from a dedicated FE/BE
machine running KnoppMyth to a split FE/BE setup where the BE runs on
a non-dedicated Gentoo machine.  Not sure how it ended up this way
other than the fact that I don't have UTF support enabled on that box
(at some point in the past, having UTF support enabled broke something
else, but I don't remember what).

> I would suggest that if you use __any__ remote frontends and there is
> any chance of someone else powering one up and using Myth then you
> should first emerge -C mythtv on ALL frontend-only machines,

The FE doesn't run Gentoo, it runs MiniMyth -- I _think_ all I need to
do is replace the 0.21 rootfs on the USB flash drive with the one
containing 0.22...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Are we on STRIKE yet?
                                  at