On Thursday 04 March 2010 08:44:27 Graham Murray wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerar...@googlemail.com> writes:
> > no, it is not safe to have a 64bit only system. Just choose the multilib
> > profile and start installing. If something needs the 32bit emul libs, it
> > will pull the stuff in. There is nothing you need to care about.
>
> What is unsafe about a 64bit only system? Surely if it were unsafe then
> Gentoo would not offer no-multilib profiles? I have recently built 2
> systems using a no-multilib profile and have not found any problems, and
> expect to start building a third one today.

It's not unsafe in that the machine cannot work, it's unsafe in that for a
normal desktop user's range of apps, some thing might be impossible to get
going.

If you have a no-multilib desktop profile, and you need to install some thrid
party app like VPN software that is 32 bit, you are stuck needing a reinstall
(as that profile switch on a live machine is not easy nor advised).

Just be safe as use the profile that will let you use 32 bit libs if and when
you need them.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com