FYI, machines within the attbi.com domain can connect
to the NNTP server(s) named netnews.attbi.com and you
may find some postings of interest related to this topic.

The best group is probably

   attbi.ne.techtalk.general

...but there are a number of others that might
also provide info of interest, like maybe:

   attbi.users-unix
   attbi.discussion-attbiservice
   attbi.discussion-cablemodem
   attbi.discussion-email
   attbi.discussion-games
   attbi.discussion-general
   attbi.discussion-homenetworking
   attbi.discussion-newsgroup
   attbi.discussion-security
   attbi.users-cablemodem
   attbi.announcements

These newsgroups used to be much better but the S/N
ratio has deteriorated as The Great Unwashed have
slowly infiltrated and many of the most knowledgeable
people have consequently wandered away in frustration.

Click-thru agreements don't always hold up in court
but since some ignorant ComCast droid can hold your
connection hostage while you work out your differences
it would probably be nice to either stay on ComCast's
good side or completely off their radar.

BTW, I've heard that those stupid "wizards" don't do
anything to your Windows PeeCee that you couldn't
do by hand, like tweaking IP addrs and registry
entries and such, so you might be able to skirt the
issue entirely by doing it all by hand.  That would
presumably leave the previous agreement in force, yes?

One of the things I read in attbi.ne.techtalk.general
is that all a Linux user like me has to do is config
different IP addrs for the POP, SMTP and NNTP servers,
reportedly these:

 send email (SMTP):    smtp.comcast.net
 receive email (POP3): pop3.comcast.net
 news (NNTP):          news.comcast.giganews.com

...which, presumably would work for Windows, too, right?

NOTICE: I have NOT verified that information and IANAL.