> Some of the major vendors felt that there were too many events, ...
> LinuxWorld Boston was just not worthwhile. Neither HP nor IBM had a
> booth.
> Normally, both have large booths and are major event sponsors.

IBM had a briefing suite upstairs in the LinuxWorld show with their
own track. And IBM did have a "partners booth" area that was stamping
"passports", so IBM was in the exhibit hall too, they just didn't have
a booth big enough to house a Maddog talk this year. They were
supporting the event in their own way.

The article mentions that the two vendors colluded to skip the show.

"Collusion" is a loaded word. I'm not sure who they mean, as IBM _was_
there as I noted above. I asked my HP salesman about HP having
boycotted and instead held a competing function for existing HP
customers at another nearby hotel during the tutorial-day. I
castigated him for his firm not supporting the conference like a
responsible vendor. Since I'm an architect-type at a major customer
that does business with all his competitors, he needed to un-ruffle
feathers. He said they'd been told that if they wanted onto the show
floor, since they were a top-tier company, they would be expected to
sign up as Platinum Conference Sponsors. They choked at the mandatory
sponsorship surcharge being tacked onto just buying a booth, instead
of "if you upgrade to Platinum, we'll double your booth size and give
you a 'free' reception room in addition to plastering your logo all
over the place" as is / was more common.

I thought the choice of the new conference center hurt their chances
of attracting attendees.

The new conference center had an early-adopter problem that the
attached hotel isn't open until next month. It killed MacWorld Boston
fast that way too.

The show certainly LOOKS smaller in the new bigger conference center.
Some of that is  some companies having smaller or partner-only or no
presence -- and I'm thinking not just of the big obvious ones but a
certain O'Reilly-competitor was in a 10' booth in 2006 instead of a
20' in 2005, and I think O'Reilly may have had less floor space too,
although still 3-4x the smaller presses.  In 2005 there was more "open
space" on the floor, with lounges and email centers, and the Sun
gaming pavilion, none of which were "sales" space. The total rented
exhibit floor booth space likely would measure out less too, but I
haven't compared exhibitor floor drawings.

It's a real disappointment; there's a lot of Open Source activity in
New England and not having a show lowers its visibility.

Open source is by it's nature at least less-, and sometimes non-,
commercial. The big- money for-profit folks leveraging FLOSS for their
investors' profit are going to send more folks from HQ to a local show
-- that's in SF -- than a sleep-away show, both as buyers and as
sellers, which is self-enhancing loop: more customers, more marketing
guys show up. Who has a big marketing arm in Boston? Data General?
DEC? Wang? Lotus?  Oops, wrong decade. We even lost our computer games
company.

Boston has major biotech shows now.

I'll miss LinuxWorld Boston because I don't get travel $$ to go to
away conferences. I can expense registration as training, and I can
expense mileage to training, but I can't expense airfare and room and
meals. (The PHB's & bean-counters know *their* "conferences" are
booze-filled waste of time, so assume mine are. So they go the theirs
and forbid me to go to mine, even though sending me to OSCON or YAPC
would actually help the firm. *sigh*)  Maybe I'll have to go to Usenix
Boston next year as my #1 conference :-/.

In Boston/NewEngland we've got lots of FLOSS contributors and projects
and skunkworks projects using FLOSS to help our firms/clients, but we
don't have the big marketing departments or big big customers. (My
firm has major IT budget, but I spent more time at the show than
central IT EA.) We'd have a better shot at a developers-and-geeks
OSCON style conference here than a marketing glitz show.  Some year
we'll get our act together and host YAPC in Boston. If that goes over
well we could consider trying to throw a OSCON-EAST, but that would be
a lot of work -- would need deep committee drawn from _all_ the LUGs
and *UG's from the rest of LAMP.

--
Bill
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]