On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 18:12:47 -0400
Bruce Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thomas Charron wrote:
> >   So, now that http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20071011205044141
> > is out there..
> >
> >   What are peoples thoughts on the patent in question?
> >
> > http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?u=%2Fnetahtml%2Fsrchnum.htm&Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&r=1&l=50&f=G&d=PALL&s1=5072412.PN.&OS=PN/5072412&RS=PN/5072412
> >
> I think there's prior art. I seem to remember seeing something like this
> back in the days of X10 (the predecessor to X11). A little white box
> with crosshairs in the lower right of the screen. It screwed up my
> display whenever I clicked on it. Back then I didn't know about window
> managers, let alone workspaces - I just knew about point and click. I
> think they used the term "panel" (in what passed as documentation in
> those days).

This is probably true. The patent goes back to 1987 and was issued in
1991 and was filed by Xerox. It is curious that only Red Hat and Novell
are the plaintiffs. Why not FSF (GNOME), of X.ORG, or TrollTech (KDE
and QT). Why not some commercial Unix systems that use KDE or GNOME, or
even the ancient CDE. Additionally, Groklaw lists a couple of
executives of the plaintiff's parent company has 2 former Microsoft
senior executives at the helm.   Additionally, the plaintiff appears to
be nothing but a patent troll.

--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group