I just wanted to add a followup here on this.
First note that the patents involved should expire in December, 2008.
But there is a more in-depth discussion that PJ had with a retired
patent attorney. Basically, I think that the reason for filing this
suit now is that, assuming the patents are about to expire, it is just
another battle launched to damage FOSS. Those companies who view FOSS
and Linux as the enemy are just using this as another tool in their
chest. Again, the company who launched the suit is a patent troll, a
company that acquires old patents and makes money by enforcing them or
receives money from other sources.

Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group
http://www.blu.org PGP key id:C5061EA9