In a message dated: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:58:19 EST
Cole Tuininga said:

>"c. smith" wrote:
>
>> I just noticed something interesting, I have about 5000 users on an
>> email server and some (about 300 of them) are not listed as being in the
>> group that is the same as there user name, but the corresponding group
>> is a 4 digit number such as 5710 and none of the numbers are repeated.
>> such as the example below....
>>
>> drwx------ 2 twalsh   5713  1024 Oct 11  15:48 twalsh
>>
>> (I will be looking for corresponding info in the password file)

This is what I was going to suggest.  Many users will have their gid set as
the same number as their gid.  If you set it up as the primary gid in the
passwd file, it does not need to be in the /etc/groups file.  Of course, the
group will have no name, and the only way to add others to this group would be
to change the primary gid fields in those other user's passwd file entries.
--

Seeya,
Paul