The group is an older way to allow sharing of data between users. The
practice of assigning a unique group to each user is somewhat recent.
IMHO, it is a way system managers can impose a bit more privacy on a
shared system. My preference in a multi-user system is to group user
based on their organization. Users should be aware of basic Unix
security and how to use chmod and umask. There are better security
methods today, but the basic Unix security model is simple and easy to
administer.

On 26 Jan 00, at 22:21, Ferenc Tamas Gyurcsan wrote:

> 5713 is not in /etc/group. Actually, I like if all the users belong to the same
> group.
> Ferenc

Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Associate Director