Quoting "c. smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> group
> I just noticed something interesting, I have about 5000 users on an
> email server and some (about 300 of them) are not listed as being in the
> group that is the same as there user name, but the corresponding group
> is a 4 digit number such as 5710 and none of the numbers are repeated.
> such as the example below....
> drwx------ 2 twalsh   5713  1024 Oct 11  15:48 twalsh
> drwx------ 2 twyla    twyla 1024 Oct 11  15:49 twyla
> anyone have any clues as to the reason for the number in the group
> column???
> (I will be looking for corresponding info in the password file)

  The GID that existed when the directory was created no longer exists, but
it 'was' named by the old name.  The most likely thing that happens that I
could think of to cause this is that their UID changed for some reason, and
someone/thing did a chown on the dir, but NOT a chgrp.  It can also occur over
NFS mounts when a UID or GID is brought over the mount, when that UID/GID
doesn;t exist on the system..

---
Thomas Charron
<< Wanted: One decent sig >>