On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Tilly, Lawrence wrote:
> So, as long as the author takes the time to define the styles, they will
> have the same level of control as PDF could give.

  Still the same case of the different tools being designed for different
things.  XML is designed to organize content in a way that it can be easily
(re)interpreted.  Again, presentation is independent of the data.

  PDF is designed for when you want *only* a single presentation, and in fact
already *have* that presentation -- namely, the printed page.

  Now, one could spend worlds of time creating painfully exact style
definitions, and hope that every program in the world interprets them the
exact same way.  Or one could use PDF [1], which was designed with that task
in mind.  :-)

> I am using this method for displaying statistical reports via intranet and
> then using a different XSL to format the same data XML for printing in one
> of two formats (full data or abbreviated).  This actually gives me more
> options and control than I would have w/ PDF.

  Of course it does.  You are using XML for what *it* was intended for -- to
generate multiple presentations from the same data.  But if you (for example)
wanted to take your printed format, and distribute that in such a way that it
was viewable and/or printable by as many people as possible, while at the same
time maintaining the highest possible level of accurate reproduction, than PDF
[1] would be a better choice.  :-)

Footnotes
---------
[1] When I say "PDF", you could also use another page description language,
    like PostScript, with similar effect.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>