----- Original Message -----
From: "Tilly, Lawrence" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Greater NH Linux Users' Group" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 8:44 AM
Subject: RE: Open Formats (was ZD on Linux)

> I'm just learning XML myself, so my details are slim right now, but w/ XSL
> style sheets you could have a style defined for normal web-browsing, one
for
> printing, and even one for cell-phone browsers. Depending on which style
you
> use to display your XML document it will look exactly as you wish.  So, as
> long as the author takes the time to define the styles, they will have the
> same level of control as PDF could give.

Only if the XML style sheet provides all the fonts used in the original
document. And what about indents, justification, and kerning? Straight HTML
doesn't handle any of this well. PDF is great for:

1. Giving the customer a downloadable, viewable, searchable, printable
document that retains the look and feel of my company documents.

2. Transmitting content that is searchable, and presented in
color--something I could not do on paper since I don't have a color printer
at work. :o)

3. Providing content that is guaranteed virus-free (as opposed to
transmitting word processor documents.)

> I am using this method for
> displaying statistical reports via intranet and then using a different XSL
> to format the same data XML for printing in one of two formats (full data
or
> abbreviated). This actually gives me more options and control than I would
> have w/ PDF.

This sounds interesting, though. :o)

Rich Cloutier
SYSTEM SUPPORT SERVICES