On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I myself have never had a case where what I want to display is
> EXACTLY the ONLY way I want to display it.

  Me neither.  Read on...

> Personally, though, I absolutely hate going to a website to find that it
> works great when I look at it from work on IE, but horrible (or even
> unviewable) when I see it from home on NS.

  Indeed.  The problem is that far too many site designers, managers, or
customers want it to look "just so".  They think HTML works like PDF.  They do
not understand that the web is *not designed* to look the same everywhere.
Alas, trying to explain this usually fails, so instead we get web pages
designed for a particular version of a particular browser running on a
particular version of a particular OS with a particular set of fonts installed
running at a particular display resolution and window width.  They might as
well say, "This page best viewed on my computer."

  It might be useful to have something that combines the universal, open
qualities of HTML with the "displays the same everywhere" qualities of PDF.

> I find the XML / XSL combination to be a fantastic tool for the way I like
> to present and have presented to me.

  It is interesting to note that HTML was supposed to provide the exact same
capabilities.  I am sure it is only a matter of time before someone
(Microsoft, or the next Netscape) corrupts XML and XSL in the same way.  (But
then, I'm a cynic.)

> I guess I would call it PDC format (Pretty Darn Close).

  <GRIN>  I like that -- can I use it?

  And while we're making up acronyms, we could describe PDF as WYSIWIW -- What
You See Is What I Want.  :-)

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>