On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Paul Lussier wrote:
> Is there ever a case where RPM will know about something *not* installed
> via RPM?

  I've heard rumor that it will discover shared library files at locations
pointed to by </etc/ld.so.conf>, but I have never confirmed this.  I suspect
the rumor is bogus, for the same reasons as always -- binaries are very
dependent on their build environment.  Simply having the file is not the
same as having the *right* file.

> Is there some way to update the database with package info about
> something installed from source that I'm not aware of?  That would be
> really cool, IMO!

  Yes, that would be very useful.  Another neat thing would be a "move"
command that would let you move/rename a file under package management, that
would update the RPM database.  Neither of these would be guaranteed to
actually make your software work, of course, but at least the database would
be consistent and any "rpm --verify" commands would pass.

  I have, in fact, created "dummy" packages which contain no files, but
solve a dependency for RPM, but only in rare circumstances.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>