At 06:02 PM 2/18/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>Has anyone seen the Robert X Cringley site? He's doing stuff w/ 802.11b.
>http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010712.html
>
>The synopsis: he's using satellite & can't get DSL or Cable modem.  So
>he finds someone (using a telescope) that can get DSL, gets *them* a
>connection, then uses 802.11b (WiFi) with some directional antennas to
>connect to the DSL.
>
>He's got some further info on using a booster antenna to go around an
>obstacle & hooking into a Starbucks' wireless LAN.

I susbscribe to a few WiFi mailing lists and everybody seems to be in
agreement that Cringely is BSing on his passive repeater story:

http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1124

It would be nice, though, if it worked.  I live in Keene and we just got
Verizon DSL, but you have to be _very_ close to the CO at this point.  I
live a 1.25 miles out and they say it's too far, but both my parents and my
sister can get it.  When I first read the article I was all ready to go out
and buy a second WAP11 and a couple of cans of pringles and set one of
these up near the radio tower... Oh well...