Quoting Hewitt Tech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Has anyone used any of the Quantum Snap Server products to add NAS
> storage
> for small office use?

  Yeppers.  I have a 4000.

> I remember them using Linux as the hidden OS.

  Nope..  Currently, BSD.  In April they purchased a company that would lead
to SnapOS being replaced with a Linux based kernel.

> was
> thinking of recommending one of these for use in a small office. So far
> the
> only deficiency I see in the small one I want to use (the Snap Server
> 2200)
> is that it doesn't respond to the UPS shutdown command in the event of
> commercial power failure.

  Yes, it does, but it will do so via TCP/IP.  So the USB has to be IP aware.

> I'm not sure this would necessarily be a big
> problem since the rest of their office environment would likely already
> be
> down at this point and the Snap Server should be pretty much idle. I
> haven't
> seen too many problems with Linux systems from power failures when the
> system was quiescent.

  I haven't had any issues during failures.  It's a GREAT little box..

> Thoughts?

  The *ONLY* concern I've had with it is ease of subverting security.
Primarily, reseting the admin password is as easy as pushing a little button
with a pencil top, and pushing it again twice, then holding it down.  This
resets the admin password..  No way to disable this 'feature'.  Not to bad,
but it's a pet peive I guess..

--
Thomas Charron
-={ Is beadarrach an ni an onair }=-