It is not Solaris, but it is GNU/kOpenSolaris. :-)

If I might state my opinion, I believe diversity is a strength and choice is
a good thing. If some people want to go for Solaris libc, let them do so;
likewise for those who prefer an even more GNU-styled userland (with GNU
libc being the cornerstone). What we should note though is that Nexenta
(CP2) is already much more GNU-like than Solaris has ever been, in my
experience... Which is one the reasons I like Nexenta more than I've ever
come to like Solaris, after working with a Solaris-based Perl web
application for around one year. Of course, my background is much more
GNU/Linux-based so I'm biased...

Anyway, I think GNU Solaris should be able to "umbrella" both of these two
"branches". They can probably not be combined in the same "distribution",
because we are talking about such core pieces of the system that it would be
weird having GNU libc installed when packages have been compiled against
Sun's libc, and vice versa. Of course, we could have double packages
available for each and every package - one compiled against GNU libc and one
compiled against Sun libc. But that would really be a kind of weird
operating system... It is much better (IMO) to let the branches be branches.
They can share the same infrastructure; both of them can have their
autobuilders (when they are ready) hosted on the same machine, but in
different zones. And so forth.

For the time being though, it might be best to hold some kind of
"referendum" among the core developers (which I am not a part of myself) of
GNU Solaris as to which of these branches that should be emphasized. It's
not like we have 1000 developers just sitting around and waiting for more
work to be done, so a bit of focus (with the clear allowance of letting
people with different opinions "do their own thing", within the same
infrastructure) might be a good thing. Does this sound good?

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:29 PM, Michael Casadevall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Best regards,
Per Lundberg