On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Eugene van der Pijll wrote:

> > I agree that it's very late in the game for these changes, and I'm
> > open to alternative suggestions.
>
> Time of submission? It has always been my favorite :-) . And I think
> there was more than 24 hours between Rick's and Stephen's solution, so
> time zones have had no decisive effect.

I don't like time of submission. (In general, not just this time. :-).
There are time-of-week effects as well as time-of-day effects.

However, it might do as a tie-breaker-tie-breaker in future. When properly
announced in advance, of course. :-) After all, it can be easier to catch up
when you know the target. I might never have got down from 54.563 to 54.559
had I not known that the latter was possible.

--
Stephen Turner, Cambridge, UK    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adelie/stephen/
 "Reserve your 2 hour delivery time, which means you'll see the same special