Hi Joannah,
There is in fact a sack backed english weddinggown with polonaise lift ups in the back. Se Norah Waughs the cut of Womens Clothes. White satin...............

Bjarne

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joannah Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 6:35 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] colonial

>--- "Diana Habra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ooo...look what I found.
http://www.vintagetextile.com/new_page_238.htm
De

I LOVE this website!  I know that they show the details to help sell the
clothing but it is AWESOME for us historical costumers that may not ever
get to study garments like these in person.

Thanks so much for sharing!  I am trying to design my wedding gown which
will roughly be from this period and I am trying to find out all I can
about construction techniques.  This new colonial dress will be a big
help.

Diana

I agree, it's a truly lovely gown. The silk is to die for.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that someone had a go at remodeling it to suit a much later fashion?

It certainly isn't helped by being mounted on a stand which isn't tall enough, but it seems to me that the petticoat is the wrong shape - it's too narrow - and something about the top ruffle doesn't look right to me. Wouldn't they have repeated the lace embellishment that is above the bottom ruffle? the info with the pictures says that the brocade doesn't extend all the way to the back - could some of the silk have been cut away, to make the petticoat less full and change the silhouette, and then used to make the top ruffle?

The polonaising also doesn't seem right to me. A polonaise on an English robe, yes, but on a sack? I've been looking through what books I can lay my hands on, and I haven't yet seen a sack-backed gown that is polonaised. The polonaise also isn't deep enough.

The lapels on the bodice and the front of the bodice are also don't look right. The bottom of the lapels don't seem to be finished properly. They don't have anywhere to go or to fit. Have they been unpicked from the front of the skirt, which was then moved back, making the split down the front wider?

These are some pictures of the styles that this dress in its current state remind me of:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/100837015/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/100837016/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/100837017/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/100837019/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/100837018/in/photostream/

Of course, I may be completely wrong about all this. :-) ( I *really* would LOVE to be able to examine this garment close up! )

Any other comments?

Joannah

~*~ Practice random acts of kindness, and senseless acts of beauty. ~*~