On Sat, 29 Apr 2023 at 17:03, Peter Alefounder via Hampshire <
hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> Tim said:
> > I found this a while ago
> >
> > https://tomsalmon.eu/2020/01/mounting-android-phone-over-usb-on-debian/
> >
> > Not sure how relevant it is now a days
>
> Thanks Tim. That didn't work, but the CLI did provide a possibly more
> informative error message:
>
> error returned by libusb_claim_interface() = -6LIBMTP PANIC: Unable to
> initialize device
> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'MtpErrorCantOpenDevice'
>   what():  Can't open device
>
> The phone itself has instructions for file transfer with Windows and Mac
> computers, but not Linux. As Android is based on Linux, that seems a
> little odd to me.
>
> I have found a way to contact the manufacturer, Motorola. Maybe they can
> solve the problem.
>
> Peter Alefounder.

Hi,

I have a Samsung S7 Android phone and ubuntu.
When I plug the phone into the usb port, the phone asks "Allow access to
phone data".
Deny / Allow

If you tap "Allow", the phone will appear as an MTP device in the GUI
manager. It looks like a USB disk has been plugged in. You can then use the
filemanager to copy files about.
The MTP does not appear as a mount if you type "mount".
If I click on the "properties" in the file manager, I find that I can copy
stuff about by using something like:
rsync -avpP
"/run/user/1000/gvfs/mtp:host=SAMSUNG_SAMSUNG_Android_3300f4501b3f7353/"
mtp-mum
With the hex chars at the end being taken from the properties in file
manager.
For me the hex chars happened to be the serial number of the phone. (note I
randomly typed some hex chars here.So its not my actual phone.)

Kind Regards

James