On Mon, 1 May 2023, at 13:02, Peter Alefounder via Hampshire wrote:
> It may be that I will have to take the phone and the files on a memory
> stick to a public library and use a Windows computer there.

If the goal is to get some files on or off the phone, there are also options to
transfer files over the air rather than through a USB connection. I've tried
Warpinator:

https://flathub.org/en-GB/apps/org.x.Warpinator
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=slowscript.warpinator

And Warp + Wormhole:

GUI: https://flathub.org/en-GB/apps/app.drey.Warp
CLI: https://magic-wormhole.readthedocs.io/en/latest/welcome.html
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.heili.wormhole

Warpinator needs to be running on both ends and discover itself before you can
send files. Wormhole lets you share and then launch the receiver, but the
Android app only seems to be able to send one file at a time.

If the files are small enough and you already have an account, the low effort
way is probably to put them in Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive, and download
them at the other end.

XKCD hit the nail on the head, as always: https://xkcd.com/949/

Best wishes,
Thomas