I've certainly heard anecdotal evidence along these lines, and it certainly has been the case that in projects with which I've been involved recently, the M based systems do seem to outpace Oracle. What I have NOT seen is a rigorous study showing that this is indeed the case. I suspect that, when you get right down to it, the question ought to be "faster for what?" M based systems certainly do appear to highly optimized for the ways in which they are typically used (a good thing), but I have to wonder whether or not we good get relational systems to outpace M based systems by choosing appropriate benchmarks, too.

It is far from obvious to me how the two types of systems can adequately and fairly be compared. My hunch is that the answer to the question being posed here will depend to some extent on the application domain.

===
Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery