Joseph;

   One reason you haven't seen benchmark comparisions between the different
relational databases (Oracle, Sybase, DBase (you pick the release),
Informix), the vendors contractually inhibits their users from publishing
the results.  Why would they do that?  Because they know the outcome.  It
ain't good for them.  The Koreans did publish the results of one benchmark
they did in one of the Last MUG Quarterlies.  The results were astounding.
Same hardware, same load, same task took the relationals 6 hours or more to
complete.  MUMPS took something less than one hour to complete.

   Oracle used to be a true relational database and their performance really
sucked.  They hired Irene Chen from SAIC and the CHCS project.  They learned
some of why MUMPS is faster.  Soon after Oracle became a relational database
that mapped to a heirachical database internally.  This gave them a big
boost in performance and some improvement in scalability.  They just didn't
learn the rest of the lesson, how to make it scalable or learn how to build
effective memory cacheing.

  The result is that MUMPS allows for some very important performance
enhancement that other databases haven't learned yet.  One such enhancement
is that most read requests are satisfied in memory cache and these requests
don't have to go out to disk.  So only about 15% of the reads on a loaded
system actually result in a physical read.   This is a phenomenal increase
in performance.  A MUMPS system will speed up with more people on the system
(to a max determined by the available memory and the CPU performance), but
these limits are much higher numbers of users than Oracle or Sybase could
support on the same hardware.

  The bottom line is that there have been attempts to replace MUMPS systems
in the past and the CHCS project for the DoD has been no exception.  They
have been trying to bring up CHCS II to replace the CHCS I system which was
patterned after DHCP, the direct predicessor to VistA.  After 15 years and
many millions of dollars, CHCS II has finally been withdrawn for the last
time and CHCS I still runs the hospitals.  If Oracle or Sybase, or Informix
could do the job, they would be doing it.  Where are they??

  Want an idea of the complexity of the VistA model?  Look up the Entity
Relationship Diagrams.  Then show one of the nearly 100 pdf files to your
favorite Relational Database Guru and watch him blanch at the numbers of
data elements and relationships represented there.  On CHCS there were over
22,000 different data elements in the data dictionary.  In Northern
California, nearly 500,000 patient records are stored in less than 120
gigabytes of disk space.  It would be interesting to see how much space the
same information would take up in the relational model, then pack a lunch,
cause it will take a good long time to traverse that data as a relational
database.