-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chris
Richardson
Sent: Sunday, June 12, 2005 10:11 AM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Hardhats-members] == VistaWeb Missing Apps ==

David;

  The failure of CHCS II was not just one failure but a series of nearly
10
successive failures where the only criterion was that the solution could
not
be MUMPS.  I lived it.  I was there for the first three or four
failures.
The four month integration trials out at Tripler where the vendors where
on
site living DLL hell on a daily basis.  In four months of integration
testing (this was supposed to work the first time out of the bag when
the
vendors came to Hawaii).  Their code was supposed to work and it didn't.
In
four months they could generate a patient list in twenty five minutes
when
they could go over to the CHCS I terminal and get that same atient list
in
30 seconds.  It was embarassing for these guys, but failure is not
defeat,
just justification to expend even more government money.  After about
two
years this batch of vendors was kicked out and another set was brought
in
under a new management vendor.  The result was equally disapointing and
even
more government money sunk down the hole.

  I was brought in to help the vendors figure out how to migrate away
from
MUMPS and VistA.  I was happy to have some real world comparison of the
capabilities of this "New" technology with the "Legacy Solution".  I
explained to them the reasons why their results were so bad.  It isn't
that
the solution has to be all MUMPS, not at all.  Let's think about using
these
tools for what they are good at.

  This was not the only task that the engineers helped make the
interfaces
work.  There was a management interface where they wanted all of the
data
elements from the CHCS I system downloaded to their database (it
happened to
be a Relational Database).  The process was tested out at Landstuhl,
Germany, a CHCS site.  They hooked their database engine up to the CHCS
system and CHCS I downloaded to them for 6 and a half days until they
ran
out of disk space.  CHCS I still had lots of data to send them.  This
was
tried at Walter Reed as well and the add-on system was so slow that CHCS
was dumping the data to them faster than they could add it into their
database and so it went to tape.  Their system became an off-board
tape-drive.

   Keep in mind that the winning of CHCS I by SAIC was part of a
compute-off
run by the military.  The TRIMIS spec was the requirements, (20 years of
specification without implementation).  Four vendors, Baxter-Travenol,
Technicon, Mc Donnel-Douglas, and SAIC doing the VA set-aside (suggested
by
Congressman Sonny Montgomery).  Each participant was given $25 million
dollars to provide a solution tot he compute-off.  Baxter and Technicon
spent their money and no-bid the contract.  The contract was written so
there would be a follow-on contractor as part of the process (an 85:15%
split).  OK, so Mac Donnel Douglas run their model and got a 67%
functionality score and their bid was $2.6 Billion to do the military
hospitals around the world.  Not too bad.  SAIC's entry into the
compute-off
was the CHCS model derived from the VA DHCP.  Their entry scored 98%
functionality and the bid was $1.01 Billion, 40% of the competing bid
with
more functionality.  Mac Donnel Douglas could have had 15% of the
contract
by just standing there.  They walked away.  SAIC won 100% of the
contract.
These economies of scale are not unusual for MUMPS solutions.  This was
the
1986-7 time frame.  CHCS I is still runnning the DoD hospitals.

   I don't mind having MUMPS replaced with something that works as well
and
as cheaply, but lets have a level playing field for once.  Let MUMPS
compete
head to head with these other technologies and may the best system
succeed.
Of course, there are very few absolutes in life, but to throw away a big
hunk of your tools just out of predjudice and politics is just wrong.
One
tool is not going to fit all applications, great.  Lets find out what is
going to be the easiest to support, to expand, and to adapt to the needs
of
the tasks ahead.

#1  Projects fail for a lot of reasons, [politics and vendor pressure
can be
a couple of reasons.  Non-technical management making technical
decisions
and predjudicing the outcome is another reason.]

#2 An effective system is more than the benchmark.  [Hey, true enough,
but
the proof is in the puting.  Remember that Legacy also means that the
current system does work and the new system should do at least what the
current system does.  Ain't seen it yet.]

#3 Any project directly ported to another technology will not benefit
from
the advances in that new technology

[Directly ported, I could agree with you.  But that is one of the
reasons
that MUMPS has done so well.  It is a thimble that looks like a 20
gallon
sack to a lot of traditional applications.  I am willing to bet that it
would be easier to take an existing new technology data model and
re-host it
in MUMPS than the inverse.  But again, if the application has a lot of
glitz
and sparkle but is not usable, then what have you got?]

David, in #4 you stated that;
"change platforms when your current platform restricts your
architectuyre
options."  What do you mean by that?  The MUMPS model is exceptionally
flexible and strangely very platform independant.  CHCS I was
implemented on
PDPs (running DSM-11), then Vaxes (VMS, then Open VMS), then Dell
Servers
(SCO Unix), and then the Alpha (also OpenVMS, and NT).  CHCS I
interfaced
with every "other technology" I ever heard them ask for.  Some of those
interfaces were too slow to be fed by DSM.  Some of the interfaces would
generate a NAK for every other record to slow the CHCS I system down
(CHCS
was responsible for recording the communication errors, the other system
was
not).  The CHCS I system was supporting a hospital and a number of these
add-on dedicated interfaces (probably more than a dozen different
interfaces) and CHCS I still had time to handle even more.  The Open
VistA
model runs on PCs under the whole line of Microsoft OSs, haven't seen a
Linux yet that won't work, now I believe that Apple has been added to
the
list.  I have seen the VistA model run on IBM, Tandem, and a bunch of
others.   The MUMPS technology is breaking out of it's boundaries with
more
and more new interfaces, PHP, HTML, XML, Apachea and CGI, RPC, you name
it.
Somebody has found a way to get it to work.  Once the technicals are
worked
out, these interfaces find their way into the applications.

I have to close this off for now and get some sleep.  Hey, proper tool
for
the proper job.  Just let's have some level playing fields and open
publication of benchmarks, compute-offs, and the like.