There is a bug in that command in the current release (1.2.3).  Try the
"dev_latest" version matching your operating system here:

http://brainvis.wustl.edu/workbench/

You might also consider using -cifti-parcellate to get the average values
within all subcortical structures at the same time.  If you need that
result as text, there is -cifti-convert -to-text.

Tim