I have inquired of my husband, Larry, and he said that it is pronounced
customarily ka'atu but more accurately, ka'ato.  Found in Epstein, Dikduke
Aramit Bavlit, p. 96. It means "they came." It is called a durative form.
The past tense and the kuf makes it durative (even though kuf usually is a
present tense indicator). It is vocalized kuf (kamets)alef (hataf patah)
and the vav has either shuruk or holem. If it means "they came," it makes
perfect sense in the sentence.

Scrap the pelican!

MRS

 Dear Friends,